Wednesday, June 11, 2008

It was colder in Siberia...




YESTERDAY!!! Yup. 56 here, 61 there. How much of this can we endure? It's such a long, cold Spring, I keep wondering if we can go back and accept that Maryland job... It's mid-June and we still have the hot tub turned up over 100, and it's too cold!

What keeps us going is Eric's reignited baseball "career". Yes, Eric and yes, hardball. He joined the Liberty Bay Pirates this year. It's a national league for 18-50 year old men who don't want to play slow pitch. They've got wood bats and throw-back unis. We've outfitted ourselves with catcher's gear a go-go and he's out there recapturing age 18 again... Maybe with a few more aches and pains, but having fun none the less.

As a matter of fact, they had their first game this weekend and beat the South Kitsap Reds 11-2! Eric, solid as ever, went 3-5 with 2 singles(one was technically an error, but who's technical?) and a double. Fun to watch, fun to see him having such a blast.

He keeps telling me how good it feels to get out there again. Finally, he convinced me to take some batting practice off the machine. Now, it's been 15 years since I've done this. My ever-patient son sat at shortstop loudly whispering, "Strike 8... Strike 9..." Before I told him to shut up. Pathetically, it took me at least a dozen pitches to just tick one off. But then, I did. The first few were grounders that could have been fielded by any SS over 4 1/2 feet tall, luckily we didn't have one of those.

At one point, the kids were talking out in centerfield and I hit one squarely at them and (formerly) secretly took great joy in yelling out, "HEADS!" Then I had a flash back to these babies that I carried and cooed over, protected from all things scary or dangerous, and here I was hitting hardballs at their heads with an aluminum bat. Know what? One week later, still kinda funny. As a side note, always good to let your kids know you have tricks up your sleeve that they would never have imagined. They knew I'd played at some point in my looong life (but who cares what she did before we were born?) but had never seen it. Anyway, it gave me a touch of legitimacy when I boss them around. And it felt good.

Pirates game #2 this Saturday at Snider Park (where the kids play and I used to go watch Eric when we were first dating.) Talk about your trip down memory lane. Wish them luck and loose hamstrings.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

Great game on Saturday! I was very impressed with the whole team, especially the coach!