Monday, June 30, 2008

I left my heart in Lilliwaup











*As a writer, I was always taught to remove myself from my subject so as to avoid sappy, over-emotional pieces. Sorry. No can do this time. Proceed carefully, this has the potential to go knee deep.

Sleepaway camp seemed like such a great idea in the doldrums of Winter when Maddie and Parker were fighting like cats and dogs, it was pouring rain outside, we'd played 'Sorry' innumerable times, seen every episode of Hannah Montana and our waistlines couldn't stand another cookie-baking-and-decorating activity.

But we dropped Maddie off Sunday for 4 days and 3 nights of Girl Scouting adventure in a picturesque spot at the foot of the Hood Canal - Camp Robbinswold.

The past few days find me attached to my cellphone and when home, toting around that phone, too. I am a wreck! Nighttime has been the worst for all of us. Parker looks out the window and says a prayer for Maddie's safety, Eric and I can't even talk about it, we get lost in books or ESPN and hope to drift off to sleep.

I'm better than day one, where I cried at any mention of Maddie, daughters, Moms, camping, college... You can imagine how fun I was to be around, especially since the house is testosterone central this week. I know this is just the first of many, many, independent adventures for her. We are all looking forward to hearing her stories and seeing her pictures and just having her light in our house again.

As we left, I heard an exchange that I've been replaying all week. She introduced herself to a girl that was there alone (most campers came in pairs): "Hi. I'm Maddie, this is my friend Amy. You should bunk with us. It's going to be awesome!"

1 comment:

Kristin said...

She is the best! The comment at the end is why I love Maddie so much! Tomorrow is Wednesday!

PS- I went to sleepaway camp for a for my first time when I was Maddie's age, for a week! I went to camp every summer after and remember it with amazing memories. I am sure it will be the same for your little girl!