Thursday, January 29, 2009

Wow!






What a time we've had... We had an incredible week with our friends celebrating things I never knew would be celebrated. Last weekend, I had the privilege of shaving Tracie's head. The chemo treatments were taking their toll and when she called, there we were. As we've begun to call ourselves - The Usual Suspects. With snacks and the mixings for chocolate martinis in hand, we made an afternoon of it. Although, I have to admit to being much more relieved after the barber shop closed. At the time, I hated being the one to do this to my friend. But now, I am proud to be a part of her story - owning this cancer and doing it on her terms. What an incredible person. I am honored to be her friend and to have her in my life for the last 10 years.

Eric and I both celebrated the turning of another year! I can't speak for him, but for me, it was actually a wonderful day. With friends like ours, I find the number doesn't matter so much. I got to spend a lot of time with people who make me laugh and made me feel like birthdays are something to look forward to, rather than dread. The Jagodzinskes and Cullens actually made me dinner - Kristin, who is leaving for Ghana tomorrow to bring home her two children, I can't tell you how much your precious time this week meant to me. Your smile, your laugh. Thank you. Daron, who makes me laugh, shares my competitive spirit and love of a good inside joke. Merman, you are the man! Your card was one of the highlights of my day. I loved looking around my living room and seeing the four of you smiling and laughing in the midst of everything.

I feel lucky every day for the incredible people in my life, but particularly yesterday when I needed you! Thanks to everyone that stopped by or called for allowing me a chunk of your day. I know everyone has so many things going on, that my bday was probably the bottom thing on your list. Kristin leaving for Ghana tomorrow, Tracie in the midst of kicking Hodgkin's ass, work, kids, all the things that make our days so busy - Thank you for making me feel so special. You really did, more than you can imagine!
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! Your friendships are the world to me.

2 comments:

Kristin said...

Wouldn't have missed it for the world-you are a wonderful friend!

Tracie said...

Had a blast! I love celebrating birthdays, especially when I'm not getting any older!